Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Better Clarification...I think?

We were not sent home just yet....the general pediatric team were ok with us being discharged but the neurologist felt it would be beneficial for us to stay another night since Jace is not completely back to himself after changing his medications. 

Jace being silly earlier today trying to sit on his toy

A neurology fellow came in and better explained the EEG findings - of the 23 hour and today's 20 minute.
We were not told much about the 23 hour EEG other than that he was constantly seizing, as I mentioned before. Also at yesterday morning's appointment, infantile spasms were only indirectly mentioned to us along with the suggestion of using medications that are classically used to treat infantile spasms. However, the fellow said she thinks he is having atonic seizures aka "drop" seizures.  

My concern about this is that I am not so sure that drop seizures occur in clusters, such as what Jace's episodes look like.  And, if he truly is having infantile spasms, which are pretty common in TSC, then we need to treat them very aggressively and quickly!

I will be discussing this with the neurology team tomorrow morning - I have already written down my concerns and questions.

The fellow also said that the Banzel will be increased slowly once we go home and then we should see the "drop seizures" decrease. So far they have only increased and are actually waking him up from sleep now as well.

As much as I appreciate the fellow being an extremely down to earth kind of doctor -  I worry she may be incorrect about this. I certainly do not want to go home to just have to turn right back around because his episodes have increased from the now 10-12 a day to 20+ or worse.

I will be back to update tomorrow.......Hopefully packing up to go home and with more peace of mind!

1 comment:

Alicia {Murry Mayhem} said...

I know how frustrating is can be when you feel a doctor is wrong! But keep pushing to you get some real answers! Your a great mom and know your baby better than any doctor...I'll continue to pray for all of you! BIG Hugs!