Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pharmacy Pain

So when we were discharged they gave us the prescription for Banzel. Dr. Hall even called our pharmacy to check and see that they has at least SOME in stock. Since I didn't know what time we would be discharged I had them call the 24 hour location by work. Once we were discharged and we got over to the pharmacy it was about 8pm. I brought in the Rx to get it filled (or at least partially filled). The Rx read Banzel 250mg BID PO (1 1/4 tabs by mouth twice a day). So logically if the Rx says 1 1/4 pills then of course the strength of the pill would be 200 mg pills. The lady at the counter looked at the first part only that says Banzel 250mg and jumped in and told me immediately that they would have to call the doctor and verify the strength. Well I made sure to let her know we have just been discharged from the hospital after 8 days, my 14 month old son was with me still and I live 40 minutes away from the pharmacy. She didn't care at all and proceeded to tell me again that she had to call the hospital. I still don't know why they couldn't have just read the Rx since it was put into context what they wanted to prescribe. Grrrr.....AND then they acted like they didn't have a number to the Children's Memorial Hermann. C'mon, a pharmacy doesn't have local hospital numbers listed there for situations like this? Its times like this that I am thankful I have an iPhone. The lady said she had the doctor paged and didn't know how long it would take for them to get back to her.
I called the hospital pharmacy, nurses desk, etc all myself trying to see if that doctor was even still on call and would be able to return the pharmacy's call. After all this I decided I would just call the pharmacy back and ask why they couldn't just read the Rx and see how its explained. When I called they said the doctors JUST called back and they would have it ready in a few minutes. I was so happy that I didn't have to bring Jace home then go BACK to the pharmacy that night. I wish hospitals would send you home with a day's worth of the medication the put you on as to avoid all this hassle. And I think if there are strict ways that a prescriptions should be written out the the doctors need to maybe pass a test over that subject with a 100 before being allowed to hand out prescriptions. Finally we made it home around 9:20-9:30 pm!


I took today off work to catch my breath and relax. There really was no relaxing until Jace's nap time.
This is how Jace was acting during lunch - he was hungry and tired!
He for sure has his daddy's temper! LOL

No comments: