Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Phase I Evaluation: Day 1

*pause the music in the left sidebar before watching videos*

We had to check in at 7:30 this morning. This means we had to leave the house by 6 am which means I had to wake Jace up at 5:30ish. He has not had or wanted to wake up that early since October! He did very well dealing with the early wake up call on top of not being able to eat until almost 10 am. We were not sure if he was going to get his MRI done today. The MRI requires sedation for a child his age so they don't want anything on his tummy when sedated. Luckily we will do the MRI at the end of this stay and we were not put through the no eating rule any longer than needed today. 


Leaving the house today I realized there are only 18 more days left until Christmas!! WOW!!

You would think waking up that early would cause Jace to want to nap more.....nope! Not him! He took one nap earlier and fought ALL day with me for the 2nd nap. I FINALLY got him to nap at 5 pm after they brought me a rocking chair. Hey - he knows how he likes to be put to sleep.....can't fault him for that huh?

The nap was great timing too since I have started with a migraine. I hardly EVER get migraines. They occur at most 3-4 times a year for me and thats a max! Luckily I keep JB's migraine meds in my purse for when they happen to him on random occasions and so I was able to take something that would actually work. Tylenol and Advil are a joke when you have a migraine!

Jace did great getting the EEG hooked up. They "swaddled" him and that helped quite a bit!

Proud Momma that he was such a trooper!

I always said that Jace looked like a Scuba Diver with the EEG hooked up but I finally figured out what he REALLY looks like........a SNORK!
Ok some of you may not remember this cartoon, either because you are too young or too old, so I added a picture of what the Snorks look like!



Ok.....back from a break since Jace decided to only nap for 30 mins earlier and then bed time took 3 hours! Its almost 11 pm and I am exhausted. Both Jace and I had tears at bedtime and finally he is exhausted enough to be out....AND snoring!


Playing the piano for Mommy

Here is a clip I caught of Jace earlier today playing. You can see how far he is "allowed" to venture while hooked up to the EEG. Also, he is being pretty silly as usual!






The "Big Brother" camera that follows Jace in the room all day and night
I was trying to get Jace down for bed and at first he was trying very hard. Closing his eyes and laying there but then the sillies got a hold of him! He would just sit up and start giggling at me so I couldn't help but laugh too which just added flame to the fire. He is such a little performer now.After tonight I have realized how much he tries to get you to laugh or smile at him. Its hard to be so mad about looking back at it. His personality is shining through and part of that is he enjoys making people smile and laugh. How can I be frustrated at that?

Here is a little of what he was doing at bed time.....we were just giggling at each other.



I sent that video to JB and he was like "well at least he is in a good mood." That was very true until the last hour before he pasted out. That was a lot of crying (from both of us for no real good reason beside tiredness) and being restless. I wish it were that easy to just think oh he is in a great mood because I know exactly where this will all end up at some point. Either later he will become a monster OR tomorrow after he wakes up at the crack of dawn he will become a monster........either way its not a good outcome.
I just have to remember to breathe.......and keep in mind that we are here with purpose. Greater purpose than we probably know. I know God is putting us through this for a reason!
I am so tired I doubt I will be making much sense now but I am going to finish this post :)

They had to start an IV today. This is needed since the MEG scan and the MRI will require sedation, but also if he needs emergency meds to get him out of a seizure they prefer to use IV form. 
It took them three tries to get him an IV started. I am not so sure its because he is a hard stick as it is that they are not really use to starting IVs in such young children here.
They 2nd attempt they did get an IV in his arm but that artery blew (yep - going to be a pretty big ol' blue bruise I am sure) so they had to put one in his foot. He is still able to walk and play. Its actually easier because I can put a sock on his foot and outta sight outta mind - no playing with the IV port. He did manage to get a kink in it earlier and noticed it when they flushed it. They had to mess with it, re tape it and that sent him into a tizzy. This was when I was trying to get him to sleep after an hour so I thought maybe after he was upset over that it would help him sleep......nope. He STILL tried to do funny stuff until that last hour.

Ok - Willie Wetworth is starting to stir.....I better turn off this computer before the light gets him all wound up again!


*Willie Wetworth: An orange-skinned infant, male Snork. Even though Junior picks on him, Willie looks up to his big brother, Junior. He is the opposite of Junior - nice, friendly, generous, and well liked by all. He is friends with Smallstar. Takes after Grandpa Wetworth 

No comments: