Monday, January 10, 2011

We are Battling.....



I woke up this morning, got ready for work, and woke Jace up for school. I heard him breathing heavily then heard that infamous seal like barking cough - I now know is classic Croup cough. He sounded terrible and told JB that I can't take Jace to daycare with this. I could only imagine the looks I would get when dropping him off and then the call. I could just imagine it "Mrs. Bryan, are you aware of the terrible cough Jace has? He seems to really be having trouble breathing. We are concerned about it and really think he should see his doctor." Yeah I would win Mother of the Year from his daycare for sure ! HA! :)

After I decided to keep Jace home I put him back down to sleep and he slept until I had to wake him up for his appt at 11 am. He took a nap after the appt and he is napping yet again. It seems like he is going to be like me and sleep his sickness away. Sleep is the best medicine sometimes.
I just hope that with all this sleep during the day that he sleeps well tonight!

At the appt they gave Jace a breathing treatment to jump start the reduction of his inflamed vocal cords They also gave me samples of pediatric prednisone so I would not have to go to the pharmacy and pay an outrageous amount for that medication. This steroid will help to continue reducing the swelling cause by croup. I am hoping this is not something we have to deal with every year when the cold weather blows in and colds are being passed back and forth.

I for sure do not have the time to take off from work but life is not fair or easy. We don't get a break from the regular illnesses that babies get just because we have to deal with greater issues. We have just learned to take what is given to us and roll with it. If I tried to fight it I think I would either go crazy or lose any drive to continue on strong for Jace.

Yesterday when we got home from Lexington we had a package in the mail. It was the medicine that, our friends, the Fielder's sent Jace. They are more of a blessing to us than they know and we can't wait to meet them and thank them in person! Even though I have a few days left of the powder packets for Jace I wanted to see how he would do with the pills being crushed like we do his Banzel. He takes it just fine and it seems easier to prepare than the powder packets that require more precise mixing and it is much less wasting! With the powder packets and at the US rate of $30 a packet I waste $20 each time I administer his medicine to him. That just is absurd! Ugh...I must get off that topic. Its so much more involved than just the pharmaceutical companies charging outrageous amounts.

I asked the pediatrician about the rash on his back and chest and she thinks it may just be a viral rash of another kind and it was not croup that caused it. I am going to call Dr. Von Allmen tomorrow and see what she thinks about possibly the medicine causing the rash.

No comments: